Checkups and Cleanings
Beyond practicing meticulous oral hygiene, dental checkups and cleanings are a person’s best defense against common oral conditions like dental caries and periodontal disease. People of all ages should visit our practice twice a year for checkups and cleanings.
A checkup involves a physical examination as well as the use of diagnostics to evaluate the health of the entire oral cavity - even surfaces we cannot see. Checkups are actually quite thorough. Dr. Varasteh will look for signs of tooth wear, decay, and infected gums. Diagnostics are used to examine the health of the roots of teeth and facial bones. Another important aspect of a dental checkup is the fact that our team will perform oral cancer screenings. Oral cancer can form anywhere in the mouth but particularly on soft tissues like the linings of cheeks and the tongue.
Like oral examinations, professional cleanings are invaluable to patients. Cleanings are necessary because even if we practice proper oral hygiene, harmful substances will still accumulate along the gum line and in between teeth. Tartar, a primary contributor to periodontal disease, is the calcified form of plaque and it can only be removed with professional dental instruments. A checkup is a great time to evaluate your oral hygiene habits, too. Our hygienists routinely provide oral hygiene education so that our guests can make the most out of their brushing and flossing regimens.
Preventing disease saves time and money. As dental disease progresses, it becomes more invasive and costly to treat. Common preventive measures our team can take are fluoride treatments and the applications of dental sealants. Fluoride helps strengthen tooth enamel by replenishing lost minerals while dental sealants provide an undetectable but effective barrier to cavity-causing oral bacteria. Both of these treatments are non-invasive.
Forms of General Dentistry at Aesthetic Dentistry
- Cleanings & Oral Exams, to keep your teeth and gums healthy, and catch early signs of dental disease
- Extractions, to remove unhealthy teeth that cannot be saved
- Fillings, to restore decayed teeth
- Inlays & Onlays, to fill teeth with larger cavities
- Oral Cancer Screenings, to detect a dangerous disease that can be cured if caught early
- Orthodontic Treatment, to move teeth into the right position
- Removable Dentures, to help you smile again
- Root Canal Treatment, to rescue diseased teeth
- Sealants, to help prevent cavities
- TMD Treatment, for pain in the jaw area that can interfere with biting and chewing
- Tooth Decay Prevention, so you keep your natural teeth as long as possible
Dr. Varasteh’s dental practice provides top-notch oral healthcare to patients of all ages with a focus on the prevention of oral disease. We believe that regular checkups and cleanings along with preventive care help lay the foundation for good oral health. Not only does regular oral health care prevent oral disease, it helps patients establish healthy dental habits for a lifetime.
If you are in the North Reading, MA area and are looking for a general dentistry practice, Aesthetic Dentistry is the place for you! Dr. Varasteh and his team are accredited and aim to provide a comfortable environment for the whole family.
Call (978) 664-5901 today for more information or to book an appointment!