At Aesthetic Dentistry in North Reading, MA, your dentist prevents, uncovers and treats cavities. What is Dr. Vahid Verasteh's solution? It's the tooth-colored filling, a restoration which is durable and totally discreet.
What is a dental cavity?
Dental decay, or caries, is a hole created in tooth enamel by bacteria that live in your mouth. Given the right conditions (dry mouth, high carb intake and poor oral hygiene habits), the bacteria grow and degrade your tooth with corrosive acids.
Slowly but surely, a cavity forms. Early in its development, it may not be noticeable to you, but if left untreated, it will grow, leading to pain, abscess and even tooth loss. Next to gum disease, decay is a leading cause of dental extraction, says the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
At Aesthetic Dentistry in North Reading, MA, your dentist sees cavities by simply inspecting your mouth or with digital X-ray imaging. He then determines which material would restore the damage best.
Three tooth-colored restorative materials are:
- Porcelain, for larger cavities (these fillings are termed inlays, onlays or partial crowns)
- Composite resin, a blend of plastic and glass particles
Most people are familiar with composite resin as a durable and natural-looking filling material. It bonds directly to remaining healthy tooth structure, supporting and strengthening it. Also, these tooth-colored fillings require far less enamel removal than old-style metal fillings do.
Of course, why restore a tooth if you can prevent decay in the first place. Dr. Verasteh encourages preventive dental care--both at-home and in the office. To avoid decay:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss around each tooth once a day to remove plaque.
- Hydrate daily by drinking plenty of water.
- Don't use tobacco in any form.
- Eat fruits, vegetables, dairy products and whole grains.
- Get a hygienic cleaning and check-up every six months at Aesthetic Dentistry.
- Get in-office fluoride treatments and long-lasting plastic sealants for your children.
Find out more
At Aesthetic Dentistry in North Reading, PA, your dentist and his team want you to have a healthy smile that lasts. You can prevent decay; however, if it does happen, Dr. Vahid Verasteh will use premium materials and his advanced skill set to restore your teeth. Contact our office at (978) 644-5901.